When I said my vows 7 years ago, I envisioned many nights with my husband watching Lifetime movies, chick flicks, and playing Uno; what I never imagined was the invisible Ball And Chain Console I’d had to pry him away from almost every night!
Most guys like video games and I understand why. Video games are outlets of fantasy that allow men (and some women) to escape into worlds where they can travel through space, fight in the military, or run and fly at extreme speeds. But come on.. alllll the time? Is it really that much fun?
My husbands dream would be for me to be an Extreme Gamer! He would be in absolute Heaven!! But it’s just not my thing. I’ve tried, but I can’t see myself shooting pixels or going to “The Tower” to get the latest and greatest armor to fight “The Fallen”.
SO, if your husband is an extreme gamer, there is hope! There can be peace! Instead of getting frustrated or completely misunderstanding his slight addiction, make it up in your mind that he can out doing a million other things, leaving you at home worried and upset.
My Uncle gave us the best advice about this situation when we first got married. Here’s how the conversation went:
ME: “He plays video games all the time!”
UNCLE: “Ok, let him. At least you know where he is. He’s not at a club, drinking, or cheating on you. He’s right there in your living room playing that game!”
MY HUSBAND: “Yeah!” (Smiling from ear-to-ear)
Seriously, that was some of the BEST advice a young newly wed could have gotten. Of course, when we first got married, my husband was not at all interested in playing video games as much. We didn’t have children so this gave us a lot of time to do the things we got the luxury of doing without needing a babysitter. I will forever cherish those words of wisdom from my Uncle who has been married for over 40 years!
Sooo, ladies, if you are in the same boat, here are a few tips of what you can do while your boo goes on “The Traveler” (lol, another Destiny reference).
- Join him! If you can’t beat him, join him. If you want to be the coolest wife in town, pick up the sticks and fight, raid, and conquer with your beau. If it’s just not your thing, the thought was definitely worth a try!
- Support him! Every sports player loves a good cheerleader! Why not cheer him on as he massacres the enemies! Still not into it?
- Find a hobby you really enjoy! Blog, write, read, draw, scrapbook, sew, or play with your little ones! You can also get ALOT of house work done because trust me, hours go by when they get zoned in!
- Meal Plan. Find ideas on the internet or crack open a recipe book.
- Organize Junky Closets!
- Sort through old clothes your child has outgrown!
- Clean out the cabinets.
- RELAX with a good magazine!
- Have a pamper night!
- Take a bath.
- Go Shopping.
- Get a pet!
- Watch a movie.
- Learn how to play the piano, lol.
- Clean your children’s toys- they get really dirty!
- Create a new hairstyle.
- Mix and match new outfit coordinations in your closet.
- Plan things to do before they get comfortable on the game! (Unless it’s the last day of the month before the game resets!)
- And finally, be patient and have understanding.
Men have enough stress working all day long. If playing a video game helps to relieve a little of that stress, then it can’t do too much harm.